Skip to main content

Wednesday, October 31st

Happy Halloween!!!

And a Happy Make A Wish Day!!!

  Before we mention everything that happened today, we need to say thank you to an amazing crew. Patti and Dawn are our wish granters who took so much of their time to put this event together. Cheryl, head of the Make a Wish CT chapter, was instrumental in helping to put things in place. And who could forget the Make A Wish MA chapter, also helping to put things in place. And last, but not least, our amazing friends and family who came out this morning at 5:30am to welcome us, make us extra excited, and send us off in style. Without the love and support of our community, we would be no where. So much love to all of you who came out today!  It was remarkable!

  Our day started at the crack of dawn. We got up, suited up in our Sox gear, and were out those doors heading to the elevators.  We cannot even fully describe the love and support standing outside the doors of the Children’s Hospital. Before the doors even opened, all you could hear were people shouting, chanting Otto’s name. It was a gathering of doctors, nurses, coaches, students, coworkers, friends, and neighbors.  This group of people made us feel so loved!  Again, thank you to you all who came to send us off.

   So, you ask for an RV to take to Boston for the Champions Parade?  Make A Wish makes it happen!  We were so lucky to ride along the highway in a 2018, too if the line, RV home. Dawn, Patti and Cheryl hooked us up with food, drinks, games, movies, etc. What a treat!

  When we got to the parade, we were able to park the RV in the government section of downtown Boston. We were able to meet up with friends and proceed to the CIP section along the parade route. We had to wait a little, for they started at Fenway. The Drop Kick Murphys started off the line and duckboats followed. Confetti flew through the air as we cheered on our favorite team!  It was a fantastic visit. 
  After the parade, we decided to head out to Winchester to visit with our friends. It was great seeing them  all and we wished we could stay longer. We then decided to head to our home in Southbury. We were able to see family and neighbors. Otto was able to cuddle with our dog, too!  This is something he has longed to do for weeks. 

  Finally it was off to Yale to check back in. It was a wonderful day of fun and excitement. Again, we are so incredibly grateful to Patti, Dawn, Cheryl and all the Make a Wish employees who helped make a once in a lifetime dream come true. Otto loved every minute of it!

Sending you all so much love,

Mark, Leigh, Otto, Tess and Lulu


  1. I'm SOOO happy Otto was able to get a Red Sox Make-A-Wish this year and had a great time!!! You all will always have found memories of his Wish Day.

    -Katie (Make-A-Wish Wish Kid and Wish Granter)

  2. We’ve been following you every step of the way! So very excited that your wish was granted!
    Stay OttoStrong!!!
    Joan & Ken Benson


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Day at a Time

Hey all,

  So as many of you know or are coming to find out, Otto has been diagnosed with AML.  This is a type of leukemia.  He is being treated at Yale Children's Center and will be here for the next 4-6 weeks.  Chemo started last night and we saw minimal side effects.

  Our boy is a fighter!  He's going to make it out of this place stronger than ever!!

  Many people have reached out and to that we are grateful.  We can completely feel the love and support from so many of our community members, who are really like family.  For all of you who have said prayers, put Otto's name on a prayer list, etc. - we thank you.  We deeply believe in the power of prayer and the wonderful things that can happen due to that.

  As for now, it is a waiting game.  Waiting for the 10 days of treatment to be done and completed.  Waiting for blood counts to continuously come back with what we hope to see are positive changes.  Waiting to see what the next steps are.  But together, our family wi…

Friday, October 12th

Otto has had a good day today.  He's been out at least twice going on nice long walks.  We were really happy to see that his lungs were hard at work!

It looks like Otto's counts for his ANC level is 0.  We were hoping that they were on their way up, but the 300 ANC was a false read.  So, unfortunately, that means he has to continue with the no eating, no drinking rule. 

Tomorrow we are working with the team to see if we will give Otto this particular medicine that will stimulate the production neutrophils, the substance that the body produces to create the ANC.  By doing this, we will be hopefully helping his body develop the ANC count over the next few days.  This will allow his body to get into the range that would be considered safe for surgery.  Surgery is needed to remove the fungus that is attached to his liver.  We pray that there are no major side effects from this.

Tomorrow, Mark and Tess, along with some other close friends, will be attending a barn raising.  The own…

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, October 24th, 25th and 26th

So many things have been happening since we last posted.  There have been many meetings, discussions, and realizations we have had.

A few days ago, Otto started showing signs of bleeding.  The doctors have decided it could be one of two things.  It could be related to his infection in his intestines or it could be a sign of the fungal infection spreading.  After reviewing scans and speaking to the surgical team, the team feels this is related to the fungal infection.  
The fungal infection is one that is extremely rare.  It is also one that is very difficult to treat.  We were hopeful that with a building ANC alongside the three antifungals, that Otto's body would be able to contain the fungus.  Instead, his body is showing signs of it spreading.  The team will send him for another scan towards the end of next week to see if there are any differences in size of the three masses on his liver.  
We have also researched and reached out to another hospital.  The particular hospital ha…